18 February 2011

Recipe: Red Velvet Cupcakes

This week turned out to be one of the most stressfull I have had in a long time (anyone else with me on this?) and I can genuinely say that I'm SO happy it's Friday!  Even though I still have to do a lot of work this weekend, I'm at least going to try and catch up (somewhat) on my Zzzz's so that I feel a little more prepared than I do now to tackle the week ahead. 

The one thing that I do have planned is to go and see Black Swan with a girlfriend tomorrow night.  Is it any good???  We get our movies a little later over here, so it was acutally just released to cinemas this week.  I'm also possibly looking to purchase a Blackberry.  I think it may be time for me to finally move with the times so I am going to the phone shop to check out the different contracts in the morning, before it turns into a zoo.  Any recommendations on what model I should get?, My boyfriend has the Storm now and absolutely hates it, but I heard they've now come out with the Torque (or something) that is supposed to be much better.  Anyways, any advice would be appreciated because, as you can probably tell, I am a little out of the loop with all of this :)

Before I go jump into my pjs, I just wanted to pass on a wonderful recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes that Joelle had posted on her blog - by the way, if you haven't checked out her blog yet, you should mosy on over there right after you copy this delicious recipe because it is adorable.  Anywho, I made these cupcakes last Sunday and then took them to work for Valentine's Day and they were a hit!  I totally recommend them, and they are not that difficult to make.

(This is how they turned out )

Red Velvet Cupcakes w/ Cream Cheese Frosting

You will need:
  • 2 1/2 cups cake flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 tbsp red food coloring
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
For the frosting
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 5 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350° F.  Line cupcake pans with paper liners.  In a medium bowl, combine the cake flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt; whisk to blend.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla and vinegar.  Beat on medium speed until well blended.  Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners.  Bake, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15 - 18 minutes.  Let cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer.  Beat on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.  Mix in the vanilla extract.  Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth.  Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.

And voila, you have yourself delicious Red Velvet Cupcakes :)

Happy Friday Everyone!

xoxo
Jenna

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, thanks so much for the shout-out! Those cupcakes really are amazing!

    I hope you have a fantastic and stress-free weekend. And go buy a Blackberry. You deserve it ;)

    xoxo,
    Joelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I am your newest follower via the FTLOB blog hop. I just love those girls for offering us a venue to hop around and find other wonderful blogs :)

    Yum, those red velvet cupcakes look awfully yummy! I've never been a red velvet kind of girl but I may have to give them a try!!!!

    Please write a review for Black Swan - I'm in Germany so by the time I actually get to see it will probably be when its on DVD haha -- but it looks like a wonderful flick!! Enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now following your site. You have a great site. I found it through FTLOB. As of yet I haven't tried a red velvet cupcake but I keep hearing amazing things about them. I look forward to returning to your site to read more

    ReplyDelete
  4. These Red Velvet cupcakes look delish! Thank you for the recipe, Jenna! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmmm. Those look crazy delicious! Thanks so much for becoming a Rosebud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cupcakes look great! I love red velvet!

    And Black Swan is an amazing movie....saw it a few weeks ago. Have always been a fan of Darren Aronofsky movies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh no! these look amazing, I'm just gonna have to make some and most likely eat them!! Thanks for sharing, found your blog via FTLOB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the comment love :) The cupcakes really are amazing! Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

    xoxo
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!